Monday, November 16, 2009

A Spinning Weekend

Because I was sick this weekend, I spent most of it in front of my tv but there is only so much knitting I can do at a stretch.  So I opted to spin a lot - apparently that one I can do forever!  LOL.  I finished a skein of superfine merino (4 oz, spun up to approximately 360 yards so it is a fingering to heavy fingering weight yarn):

 


This is going to be a thank you present for Ruth for helping me with the blanket. It is a 2 ply yarn and it took surprisingly long to ply.  I did it on my spindle (really need to install the plying head on my wheel) so it took all day.  The yarn has come out beautifully and has got to be my most even yarn to date.

The next one I've started working on is a wool/bamboo blend from Creatively Dyed.  I've already finished 1 bobbin full (told you I spent the whole weekend spinning).  In roving form the colors are very bright orange but it is spinning up to be a beautiful dull orange/gold which I absolutely love!  It also has large splashes of dark brown so I could not be happier.   I think this is going to be turned into one of those small shawls knit with sock yarn that have suddenly become so popular.




Speaking of small shawls - I'm not knitting that for my grandmother after all.  At some point last week I just started reaching into that bag of cotton yarn I have and started knitting dishcloths and knitting dishcloths and ... knitting dishcloths.  I've got a nice little pile going and i think i'll join them all together with the cone of cotton yarn to make a lap blanket for her.  That way it can be machine washable, does not have to be blocked, won't be too warm and I'll have used stash yarn instead of buying new yarn so perfect on all counts!




Now I know I promised a picture of the blanket but it has still not been washed and blocked.  I didn't get the Eucalan last week because Terri hadn't printed out the gift cards to the store yet.  I hope they are ready by tomorrow because I really want to get started on knitting that hood as well (it hasn't gotten cold yet but it will soon enough).  So no picture for now.

No comments: