Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Need for simple project

I haven't had anything to knit in the car with me since I finished the HWL scarf (remember the red neon?); the reason being the two projects i'm focusing on now are my grandma's blanket and the handspun socks.  Both are in stages not conducive to car knitting (not while driving, of course!).  The blanket is too big and the socks are too high maintenance with the delicate Lantern Moon DPNs.

I need another simple project to work on in my car during lunch breaks.  I've been looking through my stash and i don't have any yarn that i have as yet designated to be another simple donation scarf.  But I do have a bunch of that Rumor yarn for the blanket from this past weekend splurge.  I threw a ball of it and some needles in my bag before running out the door for swatching purposes.  I've been having trouble coming up with a good pattern for the yarn partly because an adult size blanket has the issue that a simple garter stitch will start to fall apart on you (as I discovered with that Homespun blanket I knit many years ago).  there are adult sized blankets i do like, like the sock yarn blanket, barn raising blanket and such but these do not look good with just one color yarn.  they need variety in color.

Lois is knitting a lovely afghan right now and it is a seed stitch design - i like the look of that.  I'm not sure if that is a stitch that will fall apart or not - maybe the knits and purls will give it more stability.  I'll swatch when i go out to my car today - maybe both seed stitch and stockinette.

No comments: