Friday, October 30, 2009

Projects past and next

I am sitting in training today and as usual we began late - about 1/2 hour late.  So, I was killing time on Ravelry and when I went to see what I'd finished in October, I realized I haven't finished a single thing this month!  NOT ONE!!!  I think that explains the BLAH I've been feeling. 

I did finished spinning two skeins of yarn though so that's something. Here they are:

4 oz Tencel/Wool blend by Creatively Dyed, 94 yards, Navajo plied:


 

4 oz Wool/Silk blend, 100 yards thick-thin, andean plied:


 

Here's another skein (finished earlier in the year), 4 oz superwash merino, 400 yards, andean plied:





I was also thinking about the reward system some more and the only things I can think of that I'm "denying" myself are a drum carder and fabric for the flannel pjs.  I can't imagine getting a drum carder even as a reward though because of the space issues.  I would consider renting a carder or borrowing someone's carder so I'll have to explore that some more when I'm ready to start working with the fleeces.  So fabric is looking to be more and more likely as a reward.

Since my post a few days ago about my spinning stash, I've been thinking of all the sweater's worth quantities i have.  I think i should start spinning with the yak roving since that is professionally processed and would be a better way to learn to spin for a sweater.  Spinning from a scoured fleece comes with it's own challenges and I would prefer to tackle one new thing at a time. 

I am thinking of making a cabled yarn for the sweaters.  A cable yarn is a 4 ply yarn (nice and sturdy for sweaters) where you spin a single, 2 ply it, and then 2 ply the 2 ply.  I also think this would be an appropriate yarn because my preference while spinning singles on the wheel is something that turns into fingering weight or heavy fingering weight when 2 plied so when cabled, I think I should get a sport to dk weight yarn which should work out well.

No comments: